Building a Sustainable Quality Program
An internal audit activity demonstrates its commitment to quality by meeting the expectations of its stakeholders while continuing to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of its operations. A successful quality assurance and improvement program (QAIP) is crucial to achieving this goal.
Building an effective QAIP is similar to establishing a total quality management program, where products and services are analyzed to verify they meet stakeholder expectations, operations are evaluated to determine their efficiency and effectiveness, and practices are assessed to confirm their conformance to standards. Once the QAIP has been established, sustaining it requires leaders who are responsible for setting the proper tone in support of quality.
If you are preparing for an external quality assessment, this course will help you learn how to build and maintain an effective QAIP, leading to a successful external assessment.
The quality assessment process flow model and related tools from the recently published Quality Manual provide the basis for class discussion and activities. Guided by knowledgeable facilitators with extensive experience in quality assessments, participants will:
- Learn how to apply The IIA’s International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF) quality standards to establish an effective QAIP within their internal audit practice.
- Gain experience with the quality assessment process model and related tools contained in the new Quality Manual to identify areas of focus for their own QAIPs.
- Practice building the two key components of an effective QAIP: ongoing and periodic assessments.
- Experience developing metrics and designing reports of results of their internal audit’s QAIP.
- Assess the readiness of their internal audit activity for an external quality assessment.
This is one of two IIA courses designed to assist participants with their internal audit activity’s ability to comply with Standard 1300 — the foundation of QAIPs — and, more importantly, realize the full benefit of a high quality QAIP.
It is recommended that participants have some familiarity with concepts related to QAIPs. Reading Standard 1300 and the recent Practice Guide, Quality Assurance and Improvement Program would be helpful preparation for the course